By Chinenye Festus:-
The Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service Agency disclosed that Several persons have been injured following a gas explosion in Ajao Estate, Lagos.
In a statement on Wednesday, the Ag. Head, Mrs. Margaret Adeseye, said the explosion was as a result of de-caning of an acetylene gas by one of the victim vendors in an L-shaped row of 27 shops.
“Isolo Fire Station was swiftly mobilized to salvage the situation, and on arrival recovered three adults, two females and a male while two adult males with various degrees of injuries were rescued alive and have since been taken to the hospital,” it said.
“The Fire, which emanated from the explosion, severely burnt two cars, a Toyota Camry and Kia saloon cars with registration number LSR 825 FA and EPE 212 CA respectively, a Tri-cycle and some shops”
According to the statement, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, LASEMA, LASAMBUS, SHEMU, LASTMA, Red Cross, and the Police from Ajao Estate Division collaborated in salvaging the situation from getting out of hand.
It also noted that further investigation would be conducted to avert future reoccurrence. The incident occurred at about 6:58 pm barely 24 hours after a gas leakage incident at the Palm Groove Estate.
Six shops were severely damaged and 21 others were partially affected at Inuwa Muhammed Street, adjoining Gbolahan Primary School on 7 Ashafa Afariogun Street, of the Ajao Estate.
While the statement made no mention of any deaths, it stated that five persons were rescued, of which two had sustained injuries.