By Simdi Gloria:-
Donald Trump, US President on Wednesday warned that he would hold Iran responsible in the event of a fatal attack on Americans in Iraq, as the first anniversary of the killing of a top Iranian general in US airstrike approaches.
“Our embassy in Baghdad got hit Sunday by several rockets,” Trump said on Twitter, referring to an attack that caused damage but no deaths.
“Guess where they came from IRAN,” he added.
“Now we hear chatter of additional attacks against Americans in Iraq,” he added, before offering “some friendly health advice to Iran: if one American is killed, I will hold Iran responsible. Think it over,” he said.
Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State had already pointed fingers at Tehran while the US military command that covers the region said that the rocket attack “was almost certainly conducted by an Iranian-backed rogue militia group.”
In a statement, it said that while it “caused no US injuries or casualties, the attack did damage buildings in the US embassy compound, and was clearly NOT intended to avoid casualties.”
“The United States will hold Iran accountable for the deaths of any Americans that result from the work of these Iranian-backed rogue militia groups,” it added.
Iran responded by telling US authorities not to provoke tensions.
On January 3, 2020, Donald Trump had ordered a drone attack to kill the powerful Iranian general while he was in Baghdad.
The attack came after Iranian-backed militias had fired rockets at US targets in Iraq, in a scenario echoed by the latest strikes against the US embassy.
After Soleimani’s killing, the entire region held its breath in anticipation of an uncontrolled escalation which ultimately did not materialize.
As the first anniversary of the strike nears, tensions are rising and the US leader — in his final weeks in office — is sticking to his “maximum pressure” approach toward the Iranian regime.
NEWSIE EVENTS MEDIA TEAM Follow Us On Twitter,Instagram & Facebook
@NewsieEvents,I.G newsieevents, Facebook Newsie Events