President Bola Tinubu renamed a few federal airports in honor of a number of well-known Nigerians.
A memo from the Federal Ministry of Aviation, dated June 1, 2023, and signed on Monday by Mrs. Joke Olatunji for the Director of Airport Operations, revealed the renaming of the airports.
The Nasarawa Airport honors the late founder of the Sokoto Caliphate, Usman Dan Fodio, while the airports in Port Harcourt and Maiduguri are named for the late nationalists Obafemi Awolowo and Muhammadu Buhari, respectively.
Additionally, the Ebonyi Airport was renamed in honor of the late Senate President Chuba Okadigbo, the Ibadan Airport was renamed in honor of the late Premier of the old Western Region, Ladoke Akintola, and the Benin Airport was renamed in honor of the late Oba of Benin, Oba Akenzua II.
See the full list below:
1. Akure Airport – Olumuyiwa Bernard Aliu
2. Benin Airport – Oba Akenzua II
3. Dutse Airport – Muhammad Nuhu Sanusi
4. Ebonyi Airport – Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo
5. Gombe Airport – Brigadier Zakari Maimalari
6. Ibadan Airport – Samuel Ladoke Akintola
7. Ilorin Airport – Gen. Tunde Idiagbon
8. Kaduna Airport – Hassan Usman Katsina
9. Maiduguri Airport – Gen. Mumammadu Buhari
10. Makurdi Airport – Joseph Sarwuan Tarka
11. Minna Airpor – Mallam Abubakar Imam
12. Nassarawa Airport – Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio
13. Osubi Airport – Alfred Diete Spiff
14. Port Harcourt Airport – Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo
15. Yola Airport – Lamido Aliyu Mustapha